Monday, March 28, 2016

Sweet Little Project

I would only do this for someone I really love. This project is for Margaret's mother. She is the sweetest little lady. Her hands are no longer able to do quilting because of arthritis. She completed the embroidery of 24 blocks of antique cars. They now need to be turned into a quilt. This will be an heirloom.

 I will complete the process by setting the blocks with sashing and quilting it.
There are some problems with some of the blocks. Some of the blocks have ink stains from the original transfer ink. It doesn't show much in the photo below, but I find it very distracting from her wonderful work.

I have done internet research to see how I can remove the stains. I have tried hairspray. I have tried to remove the stains Goo Gone and Clorox II. No luck. I just hope they won't be too noticeable when it is quilted. If you know of some magic way to remove this ink, please let me know.


I am planning to surround each with a feather wreath.
This is the layout I am planning for the 24 blocks.

I'll post progress reports.

Thanks for stopping by.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Update on Projects

I completed the flimsy of Twirl and have just now realized that I forgot to get a picture of it. It has been folded and added to the pile waiting to be quilted. I'll get that picture taken soon.

I finished the Diamond blocks for the Crossroads Quilt Along.
There are only three. They look so cute along with the houses that were sewn last month.

If you are interested in joining the sew along, go to Fat Quarter Shop to get the details.

I have also completed the next installment in the Starlight, Starbright BOM from Sentimental Stitches. I had hoped there wouldn't be any more templates, but I was disappointed to find there were more this month.

The small blocks were simple, but the larger one was made up of eight-pointed stars with set in triangles and corner blocks. The design also included a complicated set in of rectangles and squares, but I altered it and made each of the blocks the same and pieced them together as a four patch.
I think I have mastered the set in triangles and squares with Y-seams. I went back to a Craftsy class that I remembered had Y-seams. It is the Debbie Caffrey class called Clever Cuts for Efficient Quilting. It really helped to be able to see it several times and watch it being done correctly. Here are all of the blocks so far.


I also finished block #10 in the 2015 Designer Mystery BOM project.




This project won't be finished until May. I want to get this one off the design wall so I can work on some other things.

Thanks for stopping by.