Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

EPP Tutorial

You didn't think I had written the tutorial myself, did you? How many times have I whined that I needed a good tutorial for the six pointed stars. I have searched and searched and had no luck. Today, I just stumbled onto it. I got an email from Riley Blake Designs with a link to an EPP tutorial for clamshells by Sue Daley. I checked it out and found out that she has a whole series of EPP tutorials on YouTube.
Check out the six pointed star tutorial here.

I am so happy to have found this tutorial. I have been doing things all wrong. First, the wrong needle. I was using an embroidery needle that was long and had a large eye. I chose it because it would be easy to thread. Here are the needles I need to use:
I bought them when I made my Merry, Merry Snowmen applique quilt. What a difference this has made.
Second mistake, wrong thread. I was using polyester thread that I had left over from various projects but it was way too thick. This is the thread that Sue recommends:
The 60 wt. thread makes a huge difference. It is fine and just blends in.
So now that I had the right needle and tread, what other problem could I have? I couldn't thread the needle to save my soul. Fortunately, I remembered that I had purchased this and had it tucked away in a drawer:
Problem solved. This Clover needle threader is a lifesaver. Now I can get the perfect thread through the eye of the perfect needle.
The next change is that I am going to try her glue method. That will save a lot of time that I have been spending basting each piece.
I am sure these changes will help me get my Tula Pink "Diamonds in the Sky" EPP quilt finished. 

Thanks for stopping by.



3 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love to EPP so it is always fun to see what others are working on or using for tools. Thanks for sharing!

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

Oh we sell the Clover needle threader in the store where I work in Manhattan, I always wondered if it was actually worth having - I take it it is?! :D

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Rabbit, rabbit!! - ;))