Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Frustrating Quilting Day!

I have finished quilting the blocks in the Blogger's BOM quilt. I did an all over meander, except I didn't quilt inside the gold cornerstones (except for a couple of blips when I accidentally crossed into the cornerstone). When you read about my experience below, you will understand why I am not picking out those stitches.

This was by far the most frustrating quilting day I have ever had. I can't count the number of times my top thread broke. Sometimes I only went a couple inches from a fresh start and it would break again. Sometimes I could quilt about a quarter of a block. I tried rethreading the top thread (many times), rethreading the bobbin (several times), cleaning dust out of the bobbin case (once), changing my nearly new needle for a new needle, going VERY slowly, etc. It didn't seem to matter what I did. It just kept breaking. At first I thought it was when I crossed a thick seam allowance, but that wasn't always the case. Sometimes I was in the middle of an open area with no seams. I used good quality thread. I had Superior polyester in the bobbin and Sulky cotton on the top. It happened so many times that I stopped leaving tails to bury in the batting; I just took a bunch of small stitches and took off again. I was at the end of my rope. I would restart and think, OK, don't have any unpure thoughts and it will work this time. Then it would break again. Damn! Oh. Maybe that was my problem...I sometimes use bad words.

On a brighter note. I was really happy with the fabric I found for the backing.
Can you read that? It is Regent Peacock by Alexander Henry from  2009. I found it at Hobby Lobby. I don't usually pay so much for fabric that I buy from there, but it was a good brand and is really good quality. I think it is really appropriate for the colors I have on the front.

Here is my question of the day: Can these things be washed?

 I have never used them as garden gloves, no matter how they look. They really pick up color from fabrics. I use a lot of dark fabrics, apparently. Have any of you ever washed them? I don't want to ruin them, but they look pretty bad.

That's enough b****ing for today. Thanks for stopping by.

I am linking up with Nicole over at her blog Bold Goods. The link button is on the right: Let's Get Acquainted Monday Link Up. 

10 comments:

Barbara Arcement said...

I understand your frustration.. I have had quilting days like that. I am having a fit right now with my serger...can not for the life of me get the d--- tension right. I finally put it aside for another day!
The quilt is so pretty. Love the colors.

The Nifty Stitcher said...

Sorry to hear you had a bad quilting day Karen. Some days are like that unfortunately. Your quilt is looking gorgeous and I love the colours!
As for your gloves, yes you can wash them. I wash mine regularly, just by hand in some warm soapy water. They do get grubby especially when working with darker coloured fabric but they always wash up great. :)

Barb said...

sorry to hear about your tension problems! It is so frustrating, I know.
I would try different weight thread - good luck

Foster said...

Yes, wash your gloves. All quilting problems aside, I love the purples and yellows!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I'm so sorry you were having so many problems with your thread and machine. I would change thread. Not sure that will work but it may help. I think we've all had those days! I must tell you, I just love your backing fabric! It's beautiful! I have those gloves too but have never washed them. I think they are washable.

Kelly Vetch said...

What a mess. I had a similar day recently. Did you try the same thread in top and bottom? It's so strange how things that work one day can be problems on others with almost no difference in what you are working on. My problem that day was all caused by an inch long thread that blew in between my tension dial. *Head Slap* Don't worry about the bad words, your machine just needs to "Man" up. My hubby is a soldier so you can imagine the language my machine has heard from words and phrases I've picked up from him. ;)

Gertie Pye said...

This is one of my worries about FMQ'ing - if I couldn't work out why my thread was breaking I think I would just scream! I keep meaning to just try for fun but I am a big chicken. One day I will take the plunge! Love the backing by the way x

Jeanne in Ohio said...

It sounds like your fmq was really frustrating! You didn't say, but were your feed dogs up or down? Sometimes my project likes them up, and sometimes down. I have no idea why it should change, but I know that it has, sometimes in the middle of a quilt. I'm not what I would call accomplished at fmq, but I've also found sometimes it's best to just walk away and take a break. Once the machine has had a time out, it seems to behave better. I hope your next project goes better for you. As for washing your Machingers, I handwash mine with dish soap and I've never had a problem with any shrinkage or damage.

QuiltCandy said...

What a shame you had such a frustrating day. Your quilt is beautiful though. Sorry don't have much advice re the FMQ, other than perhaps have the same make of thread top and bottom, but who knows! I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Kristin said...

I had a day just like that on Saturday. I know it was the thread but I had to stick with it, it was a Zentangle and the thread was the center stage. I know I needed a metallic needle even though it was regular superior variegated thread. I of course did not have on and I too gave up on hiding the tails and clipped them. On another note I did finish and am happy with it so far. My glove look just like yours too! P8ntingmom.blogspot.com