Pages

Monday, July 11, 2016

Sherbets and Cream

I have been anxiously waiting to get this one finished. I posted on June 18 here that I was waiting for the next step for this quilt. On June 29, Joanna sent the instructions for the finish. But I stopped.

Have a look at the picture of the finish here. (I don't have permission to use her photo, so I am linking to it.) I am not a designer and I usually just love her quilts, but to my eye, I think the circles are too large. I have been thinking and thinking about this. I want to be sure before I move ahead.


I keep looking at this on my design wall. The circle is the actual size called for in the pattern. The squares appear larger than they will be finished because the blocks aren't sewn together yet. They are just pinned up there so I can see what it will look like.



I think the circle covers too much of the curve of the petal. Why go to all the bother of making curved petals if they are going to be covered up? I love that I didn't have to be too fussy about those points coming together, but I want more of the petal to show. Just my opinion, and that is what counts. I think I am going to make the circle smaller. I am going to experiment with several sizes before I cut my fabric.

Thanks for stopping by.




4 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree - the circles look too large to me, too. And I don't like the black at all - it's too jolting for something so soft and gentle - I'd go with something else - but then again, it's probably just me - ;))

mumasu said...

Personally I wouldn't bother at all, let the petals speak for themselves :)

Lara B. said...

The petals are so soft and lovely that it does seem they should have as much center stage as possible. I just love the colors and the look - Wonderful work Karen!

Unknown said...

I agree--the circles are too big. The black is too harsh too, to me as well. What about trying a rich chocolate brown? Still dark and contrasty, but not as strong as black.