Sunday, July 26, 2015

Another 2015 Finish

I finished Little Man's three-year-old big boy quilt for his up-coming birthday in September. Ta-dah!


I used the squared spiral pantograph on this quilt. After many difficulties last week, I ordered Glide thread from Fil-tec that arrived during the week. When I worked out the tension, it worked beautifully. On the whole quilt, the only stops I had were when the bobbins ran out. What a thrill. The backing was 60" wide., but it still needed more width. I added blocks of fabric from the front and also more of the NY Mets fabric.

This one is now ready to send out. What a relief. My work schedule has been quite heavy lately and I have been worried that I wouldn't get this done in time.

The next priority is to finish the three advent calendars for my grandkids. I still need to get backing material.

While I had time this weekend, I caught up on the 2015 Designer Mystery BOM block. This is block #2.
Cute, no?

Here are the first two together.

While I was at it, I had time to get started on another project that has been ready to get going for quite a while. It is a kit, but I have changed the background fabric from the white that came with it to Kona Ash.



I have much more to go, but I feel really good about what I accomplished this weekend.

Thanks for stopping by.


Thursday, July 16, 2015

2013 Designer Mystery BoM Finish

It's about time. This quilt has been on my frame since March. I finished it last weekend, but just now got the photos. It has been dark and rainy here.
I really like the border. I made swags filled with feathers and finished it off with piano keys. Here are a boatload of pictures.









This weekend I hope to get Little Man's big boy quilt loaded so I can start to get it quilted.

Thanks for stopping by.


Sunday, July 5, 2015

Big Boy Quilt

I have assembled all three advent calendars. I now need to choose backing and decide how to finish them.

I have put together Little Man's Big Boy Quilt top. I found the center panel online and purchased various baseball themed fabrics for borders. No complicated assembly. This is a kid's quilt and it will get a lot of hard use.
For the backing, I purchased 60" wide New York Mets fabric.
I had originally planned to use the red stripe fabric for the binding, but when I saw the orange in the Mets fabric I changed my mind. I didn't want a red binding to clash with the orange in the Mets logo.
The Kona Marine Blue was the perfect solution. It also matches with some of the other figures on the front.

Now, as soon as I finish quilting the Designer Mystery BOM quilt, I will be able to get this on the frame and quilt it up. It should be done in plenty of time for the September 24th birthday.

Thanks for stopping by.



Sunday, June 14, 2015

Another Flimsy for the Pile

I finished the 2014 Designer Mystery BOM quilt top yesterday. This has been on my design wall forever. I have been saying this all year, but I really love these colors.
So, the good news is that the top is assembled. The bad news is that it is now on my pile of flimsy tops that need to be quilted.

I also completed the first block in the 2015 Designer Mystery BOM. This one was designed by Camille Roskelley.

Today I assembled the top for another Advent Calendar for one of the grands. Two are assembled, one to go. I still have to figure out how I am going to finish these off.

Just came back from a two week vacation. I leave on Thursday for a conference. When, oh, when will I get back to the long arm? I haven't touched it for over a month.

Thanks for stopping by.

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Advent Calendars

I am getting a bit concerned about my lack of sewing time. I have a goal to make advent calendars for each of my grandchildren and to make a 'big boy' quilt for Little Man who will turn three in September. Today, I got started on the advent calendars.

I found these panels at Hawthorne Threads about a month ago. I bought three.
I think they are gender neutral. I hope so. I have two grandsons and one granddaughter.

I cut the pieces for one and managed to attach all of the pockets on this one.
One down. Two to go.

Thanks for stopping by.


Sunday, April 26, 2015

Hello Sewing Room

I finally had some time to get back to my sewing room yesterday. That felt good.

I completed block #11 in the 2014 Designer Mystery BOM from Fat Quarter Shop.
I took a picture of it on my design wall. It is actually set on point, but I turned the camera to show the block better.

Here is the 'getting close to being finished' arrangement on the design wall. I think it looks pretty darn good.
The rest of my time yesterday was spent ripping out quilting on the quilt that is currently on my frame. I had used the Quick Curve Ruler to make curved cross hatch on the triangle border. I went across the whole width and then decided I didn't like it. I tried to take a picture but the stitching didn't really show up very well on the navy/white polka dot fabric. I am done ripping; now I need to choose a different design so I can just get on with it.

Big promotion at work. The bad news is that I will have even less time to sew.

Thanks for stopping by.


Monday, March 2, 2015

Weekend Progress

Couldn't sleep last night. Got up at 2:30 am and finished grading student work. That freed up Sunday for working with my Lucey. This is what I accomplished on the 2013 Designer Mystery BOM. I had fun working with the QCR Sidekick rulers.
I got more border done. This shows up better than the photo I posted yesterday.

 The above two photos are Basket Block #1. I wish I knew how to take better pictures on the frame. Sorry.

Basket #2.
I am not yet finished with Basket #3. This is my first attempt at cross hatch quilting. I used the QCR Sidekick ruler to do this. What fun. I really could use a lesson, but the ruler really makes this work even when I don't know what I am doing.

Linking up with Freshly Pieced (link on right).

Thanks for stopping by.