Monday, September 17, 2018

Juggling Multiple Projects

It has been a busy summer. I retired as of July 1. We made two round trips to Pennsylvania to pick up and return grandsons. They spent 10 days with us. We made two round trips to Michigan. The first to help our son after back surgery, and the second to attend the AQS Grand Rapids show. My Halo Medallion hung in that show. It was a trill to see the quilt hanging in a national show.

I picked the quilt up after that show because I stupidly did not enter it in Paducah or Virginia Beach. I intend to enter it in Daytona, Lancaster, and Spring Paducah. I also discovered that judge's comments are only given at Paducah, not at any of the other shows. My main purpose for entering was for comments. That was disappointing.

I took four classes from Bethanne Nemesh at the GR show. She is a fantastic teacher. I have lots to practice. I purchased her book, Sampler Smackdown. Her goal is to complete the quilting in 12 hours. I used her method to quilt my Crossroads quilt. I lost track of the time, but I don't think I made the 12 hour goal.







It is now hanging on the machine because my sewing room is completely filled with my Audubon's Christmas project. My binding is cut, but I don't have space to work on the binding. My ironing station, cutting table, countertop, and sewing table are filled with various parts of the project. When I worked on the owls and blue jays, I kept putting materials away. I found that I was wasting a lot of time because I was just putting away at the end of a session and taking things back out at the beginning of the next sewing session. I have allowed the mess to take over.


I have all of the chickadees sewn. Three of them are attached in this photo, and the other three are pinned on. I had to paint the leaves in order to get a good shade of green. I had fun getting various shades to look like light and shadow. The leaves are pinned on.



I thought that the two birds with black beaks looked more menacing than cute, so I removed the black beaks and replaced them with tan. When I have finished appliqueing all of these pieces, I will embroider tiny berries. This will look much prettier with the red berries.

Thanks for stopping by.