Friday, April 29, 2016

Sherbet and Creams #2

The next step in this quilt along involved making 80 pumpkin seeds using the sherbet colors. I used the starch method to prepare the pieces for applique.

Joanna said that the points will be covered so I took her at her word. I didn't fuss or stress over whether I had good points or if they were squared off.

Here are the pieces so far. Eighty pumpkin seed pieces and eighty four patches. Gee. I wonder what will come next?

I will absolutely machine applique the pumpkin seeds.

Thanks for stopping by.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Antique Cars off the Frame

I took the Antique Cars quilt off the frame.

I have the binding strips prepared. I have projects all over my cutting table so I can't trim it yet. I just have too many things going on. When I get it bound it will be on its way to Margaret's mother. I will hate to see it go.

I was asked some questions about how I did this. I took some pictures to show my process, but I am in no way an expert quilter. This is just how I went about it. First I used my circle template to mark the quarters and then the eighths around the circle. Then I used my straight ruler to draw the cross hatch lines with a water soluble marker. Then I quilted the circle and the feathers around the circle.

When the feathers were completed, I quilted the cross hatch. I am sure that there is a logical way to go about this. I just started with the line that was nearest my last feather. I used the outline of the car as a way to move from line to line when it was helpful. I retraced some lines when I thought it was the easiest way to get to the next line that needed to be quilted.

Thanks for stopping by.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Crossroads Friendship Blocks

Here is another post on the Crossroads Quilt Along with Joanna Figeroa and Fat Quarter Shop. It was fun to dive back into the Strawberry Fields Revisited fabrics. Such sweet colors.

The FQS website showed a block with a sweet little embroidered flower in the center. What a great idea. I love the idea, but I know myself. I won't do that. I would need the 'perfect' pattern and the 'perfect' floss color. I'll settle for the blocks as they are.

Here are all of the blocks so far. I'm having fun with these.

Thanks for stopping by.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Sherbet and Creams Quilt Along

I got sucked into another quilt along. I was holding strong, so far this year, but ouch. I fell off the wagon. Joanna Figeroa started this quilt along.  How could I resist?
I bought a bundle of low volume creams and ivories (see photo) and went through my stash to add to them.
I decided to eliminate the far right and the far left. I included the small sample of polka dot (From Bonnie and Camille Vintage Modern). I included that one.

Here are several others I eliminated. Too tan and too white.

Here are the 80 four patches I sewed and the sherbet collection in the background.

I can't wait to see what the next step will be.

I need a teenager in my house. I have just signed up for Instagram but have no idea how to post a picture. I may have to ask a student at the university to give me a tutorial on Instagram.

Thanks for stopping by.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

2015 Designer Mystery BOM

I was able to get block #11 finished today. So many seams in this one. It was a challenge.

Here it is on the design wall with all of the others.

One more block and I will be able to get this made into a flimsy. Can't wait to get it off the design wall.

Thanks for stopping by.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Antique Cars Quilt

This is the project I posted about here. I mentioned that several blocks had stray ink marks from the original iron-on pattern. I tried hairspray and Clorox II without luck to remove the spots. At Hobby Lobby I found Grandma's Spot Remover. That little bottle of magic did the trick. I plan to get a second bottle so I can have one in my sewing room and another by the washing machine.

I got the blocks set together and am very happy with the layout.

I sent the pictures to Margaret and she approved it. I loaded it on the machine and got the first row completed.

Now that I see this photo, I notice that I missed a line in the cross hatch. Have to go back.

I am copying the setting design that I used in the 2013 Designer Mystery BOM quilt. Simple X in the nine patches, wish-bones in the sashing strips. Simple feather wreath around each car with cross hatch center.

I am linking up with Podunk Pretties. Linking up with Freemotion by the River.

Thanks for stopping by.

Friday, April 1, 2016

Leader Ender

Rabbit, rabbit. It's the first day of another month. Have a good one. No jokes from me.

I have had this project rolling around in my head for quite a while. I have needed a leader ender project so the two were a prefect marriage.

I have been cutting two 2.5" squares of print and two 1.5" squares of the same print. These are put together with two 2.5" squares of neutral background. Tada! Bow ties.

The problem was, I just couldn't resist diving into the project. Here they are lined up on one of my design boards next to my machine.

This is the setting that I have been so anxious to see. I have set the bow ties in 4x4 blocks. (At 4" finish each, the bigger block will finish at 16". I am loving how this looks.

My little basket is getting pretty empty. Time to cut more.

So much for leader ender. I am having fun with this.

Thanks for stopping by.