Pages

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Lots of Sewing Going On

I've just been sewing and sewing. This is the last week before my online course starts. Beginning next week, I'll have lots of teaching time and grading work. I have really managed to make time for my sewing in my summer break. It will soon be at an end.

I have sewn together the Woven blocks made with Kissing Booth by Parson Gray. The directions didn't indicate which way seams should be pressed. I didn't really give it much thought. I pressed all of them toward the colored strips. Before sewing the blocks together, I pressed the seams of the last strip added to the block in the opposite direction (Thanks for the suggestion, Kitty). The assembly went great. I was surprised at the inconsistency of my seams, however. Really need to work on that. OK, yet another top ready to be quilted.

I completed the latest installment of the Amish With a Twist BOM (only one more to go!). There were 28 dark/medium log cabin blocks and 8 light/dark log cabin blocks. I just couldn't help myself. I had to throw them up on the design wall to see how they would look.
I didn't have enough room on the wall to add the top row that I have completed so far. I am really thrilled with the way this is coming out. The real trick to this quilt is the selection of light/medium/dark fabrics. I can sort out dark and light, but throw in those mediums and I am at a loss. I can't tell you how many times I had to refer back to the color chart sent with installment #1. It also helped that each installment was very specific about the colors to be used. If I were to try this on my own I am afraid I would be a dismal failure. I really need to learn a lot more about color and value.

I also completed block #1 in the 2013 Designer Mystery BOM. This is going to be a row quilt. The first row will be baskets. Here is #1:
I had a bit of a blip on the basket's 'feet.' The fabric is Avalon by Joanna Figueroa. I really like the soft colors.

I have also begun to quilt this Pine Tree wallhanging.
I am using 30 wt. Sulky1071 to stitch in the ditch. I will also use it for my background quilting in each block. I am going to be brave and do feathers in the setting triangles.
I will be using 30 wt. Sulky 1149 for the two borders and cornerstones. I don't think you can tell from the photo, but this is a tan color that goes well with those fabrics.
Here is where I would like some suggestions. I will use 30 wt. Sulky 1234 to quilt inside the pine trees. It is a dark gray and it mostly blends with the fabrics in the trees, but it will show so I want to do something nice in the trees. I don't want to just stitch in the ditch.
It doesn't really show well in this photo. I draped it across both of these trees. Those of you who have quilting experience, how would you do these trees? Any suggestions? I have been sketching out samples to try to suggest the bows of the pine tree. Any other ideas?

Thanks for stopping by.







3 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Wonderful eye candy!! Love the Amish quilt.

Cynthia@wabisabiquilts said...

Wow, all of these quilts and blocks are just beautiful! I love your fabric choices. The woven quilt looks mind boggling... And the Amish with a Twist is just a stunner - beautiful!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Well you certainly have been a busy little bee!! Your quilts are BEAUTIFUL!! And - me thinks that you need a BIGGER design wall - ;))