Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Center Motif Completed

The center of the Amish With a Twist is completed!

Ta da!

Thanks for stopping by.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Ooops!

Time to quit. Making mistakes. I have the feathers going the wrong way. Ribbit, ribbit.


I hate when that happens!

Thanks for stopping by.

Monday, December 28, 2015

Amish With a Twist

I got the Amish With a Twist loaded on Lucey. When I checked my stitching on a sample at the side of the quilt, I noticed that the cotton batting showed on the back. I had to make a decision. Either I would keep the cotton layer, or I would take it out while I had the chance. I had only done the basting at the top and down the sides. I took the cotton batting off the frame.


The Amish With a Twist is now only loaded with the wool batting. It has taken me a couple of days to get my photos posted.

Curly Twirly feathers in the border. Navy thread on navy border.




Corner blocks. Red thread.




Light gray Glide thread on remaining blocks. Ignore the thread build up in the log cabin blocks.


Continuous Curve

I got all mixed up in the center red square. Now I have to repeat that design throughout so it doesn't look like a mistake.





















I hope to get some more sewing time today.

Thanks for stopping by.

Monday, December 21, 2015

December Update

I have not had much quality time in my sewing room in the last month. Every weekend seems to be filled with grading and department reports. I have been able to snatch some small bits of time, though. It has been my intention for quite some time for my next project to be Polka Dot Bikini designed by Sharon McConnell. I keep getting distracted.

My first distraction: I signed up for a quilting class from Judy Madsen through iquilt.com. She is a great teacher. I learned as much from her comments about her planning process and how she decides which section to quilt next as I did from the quilting designs. The project for the class demonstrates how the same design can look very different depending on the quilting. Here are my results.

The first two are the modern version.


The next two are the traditional version. It was harder to take photos than it was to follow her process in completing the project.

Another distraction was getting a baby quilt finished for our cat sitter. The unfortunate part of this is that I fear she will no longer be available to watch our cat when we travel. I made the Very Hungry Caterpillar quilt kit. I made this same quilt for a gift once before so it was fun to revisit it.

I am also trying to always have a quilt loaded on the Lucey. That way I can make the best use of small amounts of time. I am in the process of loading the king size Amish With a Twist.

I have two batts on the machine: one layer of cotton and one layer of wool. I have read that this gives a nice puffy look to the finished product. I'll see. I have to keep them flopped over the machine because the cat won't leave them alone if they drape to the floor.

I spent several weekends trimming up loose threads on the back and repressing all of the seams. That job is done.
 
Now I need to get marking done before I load it. I want lots of feathers. I have some patterns that I want to use, but none are the correct size. I need to either go to a copy shop and get them re-sized, or free hand them while looking at the pattern.

I hope to have some quality sewing time over the winter break.