Sunday, December 16, 2012

What I've Been Up To

I told you I spent Wednesday and Thursday 'sewing my brains out.' This is what I've been up to. I have been working on Bonnie Hunter's Blue Ridge Beauty as a leader/ender project. On Wednesday, I just sat down and finished sewing the pairs together and then turned them into four patches. It was pedal to the metal time. Yeah, baby! It felt so good!
The pattern calls for 448 four patches. I have completed 460. If I don't like the way some of these look together, I will have some others to switch out.

Also, I have been revisiting the Blogger's BOM project. I got really behind this fall with all of my work responsibilities, so I cut back on my sewing time. I am now catching up with some of the things I had put aside. One of them is the Blogger's BOM project. I have been working on two color ways for this project. I pulled out the Christmas colorway (big surprise) and finished the last two blocks. I also added the sashing strips and cornerstones.
The problem is that I am working from my stash. I have run out of some of the fabrics I would like to use to complete the project. I had wanted to use my background fabric as the sashings, but I didn't have enough so I substituted another stash fabric. Now, the piano keys outer border. I don't have nearly enough fabric that I used in the block construction to use in the outer border. When I tried to use my  background fabric for the sashings, I actually cut 27 2.25x8.5 inch rectangles (I needed 36). Since I already had the fabric cut into strange shapes, I decided to subcut them into 2.25x4.25 rectangles for the piano key border. That is the dimension I used to cut other leftover fabrics. I won't end up with the same size quilt as everyone else, but it will be a finished project.

I spent a lot of time doing the math on this. Math is not my forte, so this consumed a lot of time today. I now have it all planned out, and this is what I have completed so far.

I have sewn one side of the piano keys. I will also cut 4.25 inch cornerstones in red solid. I am already pondering the backing even though I haven't completed sewing the top.

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. such pretty blocks..they must have been fun to make! be sure to post the quilt once you finish it!

    ReplyDelete