Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2019

Ready for the State Fair

I will be entering four quilts in the Kentucky State Fair this year. The drop off dates are the 10th and 11th. I put all of my final changes on my projects today. How about that. I am not running up against a deadline for once.

The first entry has been featured on my blog many times before. The Halo Medallion which has shown in four AQS national shows. I shared lots of photos when this was a work in progress.


I don't know why this is showing sideways. Here is a close-up of the center.


The next entry is my red and white Star light, Star bright quilt.


I had several problems with this one. First, after I had the top quilted, but still on the machine, I re-read the requirements for this category. A minimum 300" perimeter was required. Oh scrap! I needed to add borders all around to this already quilted piece in order to make the minimum. You can see the red and white outer border with corner blocks. I figured out how to accomplish this. During that process, I had a very unfortunate rotary cutter incident. I had to put a patch on the backing fabric. The second problem was that I had severe color bleeding, despite the fact that I washed the red fabric before I started the piecing. I followed directions I found on Margaret Solomon Gunn's blog (find it here).  Overall, I am happy with the quilting. Here are some detail photos.




My third entry is a double nine-patch. I am most happy with the quilting. This is very much in the style of Judi Madsen. I love her style.



My last entry is in the holiday category. I made Kathy McNeil's Audubon Christmas quilt. I tried many new techniques on this wallhanging. I am very pleased with the way this turned out.


Here is an overload of close-ups.




Now I can relax and work on some other projects.

Thanks for stopping by.


4 comments:

Barb said...

Beautiful Entries for the fair! good luck and have fun at the fair.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Good luck at the Fair - your entries are gorgeous!! - ;))

Suze said...

Love all your entries to the fair..but the double nine patch is my favorite..really love the quilting!

Dondi M said...

You are an amazing quilter! I am still just making quilts for my grandchildren's beds that they will wear out. I don't think I will live long enough to make quilts for state fairs. That is okay with me. I love looking at quilts with expert quilting like yours, though!