Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2019

Update on State Fair

Many thanks to follower Kitty who asked for an update on my state fair submissions. I have been very lax about keeping up with my blog posts. Sorry.

DH and I went to the fair on opening day. We bee lined it to the quilt exhibit. I had four submissions and three of them received ribbons.

Double 9-Patch received a second place red ribbon in the lap quilt/wall hanging category.






My problem child, the red and white, didn't get a ribbon. I am anxious to see the judges comments to see what they had to say about it. I had a bit of an issue when looking at the other quilts in the "two color" quilt category. I would argue that some of the entries I saw, including the first place, had more than two colors. Oh well.


Audubon's Christmas took a first place blue ribbon in the Holiday Quilts category. I am thrilled with this result. I was obsessed with this quilt for a year and used many new-to-me techniques.






As we went up and down the rows of quilts I couldn't find my Halo Medallion quilt. The category was bed quilts machine pieced and machine quilted, #03. Quilts are hung by category and in numerical order, so as we came to the end of 03, I was very confused. I didn't see my quilt. I thought maybe they had accidentally hung it in the wrong group. When we had gone through all of the exhibit and didn't see Halo Medallion, I had a bit of a panic attack. Did they actually lose my quilt? Or worse, had it been stolen? I was able to find one of my long arm guild friends who is on the state fair board. I asked her if quilts were displayed in any other areas. She directed DH and I to the main entry lobby where the "big winners" were hung. I think I had heart palpitations.

OMG. Halo Medallion won Best of Show! There it was, beautifully displayed in a glass case at the main entrance for all to see.



Poor Halo Medallion didn't get any recognition in the AQS shows where it was juried in. In that venue, it was in the same category with works from professional quilters with national reputations. The state fair was the right place for it to really shine.

I am, of course, very pleased with how my quilts were judged at the state fair. I really look forward to getting the comment sheets when we pick them up at the end of the fair.

Thanks for stopping by.

5 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

That's AWESOME!! I've been waiting patiently (well, not so patiently) for you to post your results. All of your entries are beautiful and very well done!! I can certainly understand your panic when you couldn't find your Halo Medallion - but then to find that it had won BEST OF SHOW - at a STATE Fair - WOW!! CONGRATULATIONS!! - ;))

Hugs, Kitty

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Congratulations, Karen! Your quilting is beautiful and your piecing is perfect! No wonder you won. I get a little nervous whenever I enter my quilt into a show. Best of Show is such an honor. You deserve it for all your lovely work.

sewyouquilt2 said...

Congrats. Thats awesome

Health is Wealth said...


Apna Showroom Plastic Hair Lice Combs for Women and Girls (Multicolour) with desent look
Apna Showroom New Born Baby Kids T-Shirts for Baby Boys & Girls for 1 years 6-12 months or newborn baby cotton tshirts
Apna Showroom Little Girls 'Knee Length Frock Dress Awesome Pink fancy dress for new born baby girls for 1-2 years or 18-24 months
Apna Showroom Baby Boys and Baby Girls Super Warm Thermal Set for Winters (2 Pair) (6-12 Month)
Apna Showroom Baby Boys and Baby Girls Super Warm Thermal Set for Winters (2 Pair) (12-18 Month)
Apna Showroom Baby Boys and Baby Girls Super Warm Thermal Set for Winters (2 Pair) (18-24 Month)
Apna Showroom Women's Winter Wear Thermal Top (Off-White Color) 32 size
Apna Showroom Women's Winter Wear Thermal Top (Off-White Color) 34 size

Helen L said...

I just discovered your blog because of the FQS Flea Market Baskets stitch along: just looking at who was participating. I just had to let you know that these quilts are just gorgeous! And it's no wonder that your Halo quilt got best of show! Just stunning!!
I'm stitching along with the Flea Market Baskets but have gotten a bit behind. I do love the pattern though and have been working on it again the last few days. :-) Hugs, Helen