Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

DH is a Genius!

How can one person be so lucky? I am the luckiest wife in the world. DH is the sweetest ever. He figured out a way to make a plastic insert in my sewing table so I have a smooth, continuous sewing surface. I know you can buy these, but this was much less expensive. That leaves more money available to buy fabric!

It looks really good, doesn't it? Even though he had planned to cut it himself, he found that his saw wouldn't cut the plastic. It melted it. So he took it to the same glass shop where we got the shelves for my upper cabinets made. They cut it for $25. He had to come up with a way for it to be supported at the level of the table top. Since the plastic is 3/16 of an inch thick and the table is 3/4 of an inch thick this took some thinking. He made thin strips of the plastic and sandwiched them together (2 added to the underside of the insert making three layers total). He attached these to the plastic insert at each spot where he thought it needed to be supported. He found some fasteners at Lowe's (similar to those on the backs of picture frames). He screwed those in place and adjusted them to fit the thickness of the plastic. Now when I want to raise the machine to use the free arm, I can take out the insert, swivel the fasteners out of the way, and raise the table.

This weekend's project is my design wall. See what I mean? I am the luckiest wife ever. Maybe he just wants me to be busy at my sewing machine so he is free to watch whatever he wants on TV.

No comments: