Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

This Week's Progress

Another week has flown by. I haven't been posting throughout the week so here is what I have accomplished in seven short days.
Scrap Houses:
I now have a total of 193 Scrap Houses! According to last week's post, I have completed 31 this week. I know I have mentioned in the past that math is not my strong suit and I am suspicious about that number. Since my paper patterns are on sheets of four and I complete several sheets at a time, the total should be a multiple of four. I guess I need to recount my sets of 10 to see if I have made a mistake somewhere. Oh well, bottom line is that I have made significant progress with my houses. According to my count, 193 takes me to July 11. I am purposely keeping these very scrappy looking. I am not color coordinating any of the houses. This is forcing me to get away from being so matchy-matchy in my fabric/color choices. This has been a good challenge for me.

New Project: Farmer's Wife
I am really late coming to this party. I have been reading a lot about this quilt project in blogland. I purchased the book and took a long time thinking about the fabric I would use. I have lots of stash, but I really didn't want to start another long project working with my dark scraps. I bought an Apple of My Eye (Riley Blake) fat quarter bundle for this project. I love the colors and couldn't wait to cut into it and start putting some of these together.
I completed five blocks this week. I chose relatively simple ones. Sometime I will post a rant about the templates provided with this book. Even I can do the math on a 9-patch based 6 inch block. Why are the templates not perfect 2" finished or 2.5" unfinished? Sheesh! If I wanted to draft my own templates I wouldn't have bought the book.
I'll go on (and on and on) about that another time. Meantime, I love the colors of this fabric. It would have been better to select fabric with a smaller scale to use on 6" blocks, though. Anyway, I love the fabric and I will keep on keeping on.

Another new project: 2012 Designer's Mystery BOM
What fun. I read other blogger's posts last year about the 2011 Mystery BOM with great interest and was sorry that I had missed out. I am in on it this time around.
The fabric is Vintage Modern. Don't you just love those colors? I have been stuck in a very dark color palette for a long time. I am really ready to turn away from those dark calicoes and break out into the modern age of quilting.

That is what I did this week. How about you? Now, my Snowman block #5 is waiting for me so I had better get moving. And many scrap houses before I sleep (sorry, Robert Frost).

Thanks for stopping by.

10 comments:

Stephanie Granite said...

I love the scrap houses! What are you planning on doing with all of them?

Rosemary Dickinson said...

You've had one busy week! Beautiful work!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Wow, you are on a roll with your houses! I think I am a week behind - but a day will catch them up.

Dayna at Driving Miss Daisy said...

I really love that block made out of the Vintage Modern!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE your houses! I gave up on the FW book and decided to make my own sampler quilt - LHQSQ - starting with simple blocks and getting progressively more complex - you're welcome to join me - I've posted 31 of them so far - ;))

Mallorie Anderson said...

Wow! You have been busy this week. Love all those scrappy housed, and oh those colors for the farmer's wife project are specatcular! The BOM looks fun to :) can't add any more projects to my plate though lol I can't keep up with the one's already there. Great work and keep having fun

Cherie said...

So many houses! The whole neighbourhood could move in. Great looking blocks! =D

Beth said...

Great blocks!

joe tulips said...

I tried making a few of the tiny houses...I was having so much trouble I gave up. Seeing these makes me want to give it another try. I love them!

Freddie said...

Love the scrappy houses. They look like a lot of work though.