Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Progress on Several Projects

My sewing room doesn't LOOK organized, but I think it is organized chaos. I am working on several projects at once, beginning to gain control over my stash so that I can be a scrap user, not a scrap saver.

365 Scrap Houses in 365 Days--I am trying to go through my fabric bins in an organized manner so that I don't repeat a fabric. BUT, I want my houses to be very scrappy looking. I need to have enough colors cut so that I am not having all browns or all blues in the blocks. I am sorting the pieces into four sections of a box. I have baggies with the different sections of the blocks. I have 48 sets cut, sorted, and pinned together so I can begin sewing. My goal is to have 40 houses sewn in January (so I can get a little ahead). I am almost ready to begin sewing some of the blocks. I need to get some light blue fabric for the sky sections, though. Apparently I am not too fond of light blue because there is very little in my fabric bins. So, I am working on a scrappy project in order to use fabric that I have already purchased, but I will have to buy some more fabric in order to complete the project. Go figure.

Leaders and Enders--As I am going through my fabric bins, I am also trying to cut my scraps into useable sizes so that I can use Bonnie Hunter's Leader and Ender system.
It might not look like I have made much progress, but I think I have. I am cutting 2.5" and  1.5" strips and squares. I am setting aside strings, bits, and selvage edges too. I have lots of zip lock bags and plenty of plastic drawers to keep things neat and sorted.
I am also starting to cut 2" and 4" squares for my first scrap project from Bonnie Hunter's book. I am supposed to cut 3-7/8" squares, but I am leaving myself fudge room. I will trim the sewn HST's after they are sewn.
FMQ Challenge--One more thing. I have begun working on the FMQ challenge. FMQ is harder than it looks. I feel like a kindergartner. This is the fourth practice quilt sandwich that I completed. I would be embarrassed to show you the first three. Very bad. I can't seem to make the vein curved that way it is supposed to be. I have a hard enough time making the leaf shape, then I get to the vein and all I can seem to do is make a straight line. I have time to do more practice before the end of the month. I am going to need a LOT more quilt sandwiches to use for practice.

That's all for now. Remember, if you want to be entered in my giveaway, you have to make a comment on my January 14 post. The giveaway ends at 11:59p.m. on January 16. Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I just love your banner quilt! You are being very organized and that helps in speeding the process of assembling quilts. I have an assemblance of Bonnie's system and my own that works well for me.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I have a Go! cutter that I like to use to cut up some of my scraps. It never looks like I've accomplished much but I know my scrap piles are getting smaller. I like to make scrappy quilts so I know I will eventually find a use for all the scraps.

I've decided to make the little paper pieced houses from my drawer(s) of bits and pieces of scraps. You are much more organized than I am at the moment. When you sit down to sew I'm sure you will make some speedy progress since you are so well prepared.